13 May What is Male Infertility and how does assisted reproductive technology (ART) help in case of Male Infertility?
Male infertility refers to a man’s inability to impregnate his female partner despite regular, unprotected sexual intercourse for a year or longer. Infertility can be caused by a variety of factors, including low sperm count, poor sperm motility, abnormal sperm shape, and blockages in the male reproductive tract. Male infertility is a common problem, it is estimated that 40% of infertility cases were related to men, 40% of women and 20% of both.
There are several factors that can contribute to male infertility. Some of the most common causes of male infertility include:
1. Low sperm count: This is the most common cause of male infertility. A low sperm count means that there are fewer sperm available to fertilize an egg, making it more difficult to achieve pregnancy.
2. Poor sperm motility: Sperm motility refers to the ability of sperm to swim and move towards an egg. If the sperm have poor motility, they may have difficulty reaching and fertilizing the egg.
3. Abnormal sperm shape: Sperm that are abnormally shaped may have difficulty penetrating the egg and fertilizing it.
4. Blockages in the male reproductive tract: Blockages in the tubes that carry sperm from the testes to the urethra can prevent sperm from being ejaculated during sex, leading to infertility.
5. Hormonal imbalances: Hormonal imbalances can affect the production of sperm, as well as the quality and quantity of sperm that are produced.
6. Varicocele: This is a condition where the veins in the scrotum become enlarged and can lead to decreased sperm quality and quantity.
7. Infections: Certain infections, such as sexually transmitted infections, can damage the reproductive system and affect sperm production.
8. Genetic disorders: Certain genetic disorders, such as Klinefelter syndrome, can affect the development and function of the male reproductive system.
9. Lifestyle factors: Factors such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, drug use, and exposure to toxins can all affect male fertility.
While male infertility can be a challenging issue to address, there are many effective treatment options available, including IVF, intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), and other assisted reproductive technologies (ART) that can help couples achieve their goal of starting a family. ART can help male infertility in several ways, including:
1. Intrauterine insemination (IUI): This procedure involves placing specially prepared sperm directly into the uterus. IUI is used to overcome mild to moderate male infertility caused by low sperm count or poor sperm motility.
2. In vitro fertilization (IVF): This procedure involves retrieving eggs from the female partner and fertilizing them with sperm in a laboratory setting. IVF can be used to overcome male infertility caused by low sperm count, poor sperm motility, or abnormal sperm shape.
3. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI): This procedure involves injecting a single sperm directly into an egg. ICSI is used to overcome severe male infertility caused by very low sperm count, poor sperm motility, or abnormal sperm shape.
4. Testicular sperm extraction (TESE): This procedure involves retrieving sperm directly from the testicles using a needle. TESE can be used to overcome male infertility caused by blockages in the male reproductive tract.
5. Intracytoplasmic morphologically selected sperm injection (IMSI): It is a specialized form of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) used in assisted reproductive technology (ART) to treat male infertility. IMSI involves the selection and injection of high-quality sperm into a woman’s eggs to increase the chances of fertilization and successful pregnancy.
Overall, ART can be highly effective in treating male infertility, especially when used in combination with other treatments such as lifestyle modifications or medications to address underlying medical conditions. It’s important for couples to work closely with a healthcare provider to determine the most appropriate course of treatment based on their specific needs and circumstances.
Veramed Fertility and IVF offers the best IVF treatment in Shalimar Bagh, New Delhi. So, if you’re facing any fertility issues, you can just book your appointment online.